Club Mulgoa

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Big Four Banks

It isn't true that you cannot lose investing in banks.  It certainly is usually correct though.  And if you lose in Australia with the Big Four, then you are unlikely to see your investment vaporize.

Because I hold the Senior Citizen Card now, I have less inclination to invest in speculative mining shares.  And if I do invest in miners now, then I prefer established or those that have confirmed exploration success, preferably unwanted by others.

Recently, I put my money in BDR, with fantastic drilling results, and some into HIG where there is no debt and farm-in partners mostly are paying for development.  Neither has gain in share price.

I also ploughed some into OSH where future dividends are expected to rise but its investors are bailing out for a while.

But my investment in ANZ fell first and now into positive territory.  WBC is where I put the bulk of my recent indulgent is doing much better.

Just when I thought I can't buy anymore, today WCL which has been taken over by a Chinese company, paid me a nice cheque.  It is a tiny loss and only tiny because I bought not long ago when the takeover was announced and the share price would not rise to match the takeover price!  I felt smart buying but I think I should have been smarter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home