Club Mulgoa

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Simple arithmetic

Simple arithmetic... someone is listening to me but not my readers! Because I have none! Or those who read, don't buy shares. I have been harping on the rising POG and AUD stability. With Italy and the USA going downhill, gold has become the default flag for value.

Anyway, the ASX hasn't been doing well but this does not apply to the gold producers. There are many negative values today in my portfolios. However, overall, the gold miners have given me a 0.5% rise. It appears to be the gold producers or oil explorers that did well, giving me alpha.

ASX 200 was at 4600 on the last financial day of 2010-2011. Today it is at 4500. But thanks to gold and oil, I have made a profit instead for my portfolios. And I have been brave and dumb to top up during the critical days. It is too early to say whether I was a fool or a smart contrarian. Just being a contrarian is gambling. Is it wise to be a calculative contrarian? Inshallah! I always maintain that when people are dumping good stocks, grab them at a low price. The other stocks that I usually retain are those that can pay real dividends (i.e. from profit). Very few of my small resource stocks pay dividend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home