Club Mulgoa

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Alphas

When the stock market turns upward, you want lots of alpha. If your portfolio goes up today and it only went up by 2.5% at the moment, don't bother telling the cleaners.

Likewise, when the market goes down and your portfolio follows suit by the same amount, you have nothing to feel despondent for.

My 2 main portfolios are up 5% and 6% so I have every right to gloat. But the damage has been bad so the gloating is only for one day! While my portfolios have been hit harder, the difference is I buy when the market is down. Those stocks I bought on last Friday and Monday have gone up by around 5-10% today. No desperate idiotic sellers on Tuesday so I missed out on the trough.

Anyway, this could be a dead rubber cat bounce. But I doubt there is a depression around the corner. China and India are still powering ahead but slightly slower. And Japan needs a lot of raw materials from Australia for reconstruction following the tsunami and earthquakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home