Club Mulgoa

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Bank shares

While the Four Bank "monopoly" exists, the banks will be profitable.  Banks will only remain strong if they make good profits.  Depositors are less likely to see their savings disappear into thin air.  And investors will continue to collect dividends which are more rewarding than term deposits.

I had been investing in WBC but my last 3 top-ups have been loses although the dividends have compensated for the fall in share price.  I have no regrets.  I rarely sell off bank shares, mostly accumulating.  In the past, it was DRP (very complicated when you have to calculate the capital cost in later years) and whatever SPP that existed.  With recent rise in bank shares, both my ANZ and WBC are now in the green zone while CBA continues to power ahead.

My CBA were gotten on the cheap because I bought into the second tranche when it was privatized and picked up more CBA shares when it took over State Bank of NSW.  We were SBNSW customers for a long time; we were given priority when it was privatized.

My late father knew the value of a stock... if it gives good and consistent dividends.  Hence, his largest parcel was Maybank.  His biggest investment was during the Asian Financial Collapse; it has paid off.  You have to salute this man from a pauper peasant/potter background with only 2 years of schooling, making a living out of even poorer people in a rubber plantation with 10 children and an illiterate diligent wife to feed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home