Club Mulgoa

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

TOL

I have always thought my investments in TOL had been disappointments.  Why?  Because I sold them off at a very handsome profit but the share price has never recovered to more than AUD$20 each.

Subsequently, I was handed TOL shares via the takeover of PRK (Patrick Corp).  I thought it has been miserable but in fact, I forgot that PRK tripled its shares (1 share became 3 shares in 2004).  Hence, I should not take $14.77 per share but 1/3rd of that, ie. $4.93 each.  When TOL took it over, it also gave $3 cash per PRK share plus 0.4 TOL share.  Hence the real price was only $1.93 and today, Japan Post lobbed a takeover bid for TOL at $9.04.  So on top of dividends, I have made more than 4 times the investment in PRK.

I did think about buying more TOL shares recently purely for its yield but the parcel is held not in my super fund so the franked dividends are not as appealing. 

1 Comments:

Blogger Club Mulgoa said...

Japan Post is offering $9.04 per TOL share and TOL shareholders are eligible for a 13c dividend on 4/3/15. That means it is worth $9.17 per TOL share. Yet, the market has priced it at $8.92 this morning, a discount of 25c per share. At today's interest rate, it is less than 2% so this is better than putting cash into the bank if the whole thing is over within 6 months.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home