Club Mulgoa

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Leaving it to the Experts?

This morning, I glanced at my GSJBW portfolio from early 2007. I have read in the press about highly regarded "expert" fund managers. When I see what is in their portfolios, I think those articles were written by people from their own industry. How can they be brilliant if within their top 10 investments, they have included the likes of mostly NAB CBA, ASX, WOW, WBC,ANZ, QBE, LEI, WES? Mine has GIR, EXT, MMR (very, very high risk), SIH, LYC, GTE, CDU, AVB, AMX....

When comparing my own managed portfolio, from 2007, it has doubled while those from GSJBW has shrinked by 50%. These figures are also affected because I added contributions to my own portfolio but had been selling down my GSJBW portfolio. Still, the rise far exceed the contribution and the fall exceeds the selling. You can only add that much to super per year per person and I don't frequently sell. Off my head, the figure is similar with GSJBW for the portfolio managed by Citibank who were paid 1.5% per annum while GSJBW was paid on trading.

Leave it to the Experts? No thanks, especially if the portfolio is not directly their own. Plus they are expensive for the service received. Sometimes, I cannot believe how well my own selection has done. Not all are successful but good rises are the norm. However, my stocks are more volatile and carry higher risks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home