Club Mulgoa

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Changing world of the nouveau riche

My wife has just returned from her pilgrimage to The Maldives. I don't see anything fascinating in blue water or beaches. And island cuisine is basically just seafood barbecued or tossed in hot salt water, with coconut. I don't dive. And I find recreational fishing cruel. Would you like a fish hook on your lip, then taken off and told "It will heal"?

She tells me over the few times that she has been there (while I work and invest), that the clientele has evolved from Caucasians to the Orientals. The pockets of the Europeans and Americanos are shrinking!

In 1980, when we went to Bali, the Aussies could only watch the Germans, Japs, Italians and Americans, and yes The Brits, eat in the hotel while we had to walk to cheap pondoks (huts) to eat our non-included breakfast. I remember I could not get served in Duty Free Shops in Perth because I am an Asian. Yesterday, we ate at a Chinese restaurant, hidden along Albert St in Circular Quay. There were busloads of Chinese tourists eating their dinner there. If it is not for the Chinese visitors, the Australian tourism business would have been devastated this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home