Club Mulgoa

Friday, March 16, 2012

SPI and DOW

There is disparity this AM; DOW is down 16 points and SPI is up 27 points. Have we become a Shar-pei rather than a Poodle?

China just has to sneeze now and Australia will be in ICU with severe pneumonia. How relationship has changed. Meanwhile the defence treaty is still with the USA. Someday soon, a modern day Admiral Zheng He (same Mandarin surname Zheng as me, but unrelated because he was a eunuch) will sail into northern Australia...

I doubt the ASX will jump on Monday. Commodity prices have not moved that much, nor POG or POO.

Seen a few tipsters now ranting about being contrarian by buying gold or gold stocks. Sometimes, it feels so lonely! I have topped up on AZH, PRU, GOR and DRA. No one seems interested but based on my trading history, I usually make my best profits when... no one seems interested. I have also re-bought into BRU after a long silly absence. When prices were falling, I also topped up on HAR and IDL. I like BPT but its share price had not lifted much with good announcements. I sold off RIO at $71 to create cash (for SPP in RIA) but when I sold out of GMI, I bought back some of the RIO shares at cheaper prices.

I also like the excitement of WHN. This will only rise with farm-ins because WHN does not have the finances to drill in Seychelles. For me, this is a future PCL.

There were plenty of rights and SPPs but not all are worthy of participating. CTP was down after its SPP but yesterday, it received a speeding ticket from the ASX asking it to explain a big jump in its share price, making the SPP profitable now. RIA only gave me less than maximum shares in its recent SPP (30c) because it was too popular; now over 40c.

Meanwhile EXT is taken over by a Chinese company (just sent it my acceptance form) and SBL by a Singaporean company. I have also sold out of HUN (nice profit) to a Thai company. I have elected not to sell SBL yet because I consider the offer to be ridiculously low but over 50% of investors have sold out.

EXT is a big profit for me because I bought it for a song.... when it has already known of a major uranium discovery in Namibia but it was too small a stock to be considered by big investors. Lucky me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home