Club Mulgoa

Monday, March 07, 2011

What I would buy in down market

Price of gold and oil is up. So don't buy gold and oil stocks that are rocketing ahead. I would look for stocks that investors dump for idiotic reasons.

Unless the boards are lying or fiddling with their announcements, I would go for gold, REEs, oil, potash and graphite stocks that very few people want and many are uninterested, within my portfolio.

Top of my list is BSR. It is the only laggard amongst my West African miners. Why? Ask Him. The share price just won't jump up irrespective of good announcements. And it kept falling back... below my average buy price.

NYO has found good gold deposits in Ethiopia but no one wants this company. High risk? I am down 40% on this. This is my best reason for topping up!

RMR languishing in Greenland with different minerals, including Ta and REEs. My RMR has gone down 20% yet it is usually the reverse after presenting at a Proactive conference!

TAS is higher risk but it is less than 50km from Olympic Dam and latest drilling has already hinted that an IOCGU type deposit could be there; possibly bigger? The chief geologist was involved with the discovery of Olympic Dam. If this one lives up with expectation, then this is THE stock. IF. IF. IF. The biggest idiotic sellers in recent Australian history, that concern me, are MIM which sold for pittance to Xstrata and WMC which sold itself, and therefore Olympic Dam, to BHP. Olympic Dam = 40% of world's known uranium deposit, with Au, Cu, etc, in it. The biggest idiotic buyer of course was Alan Bond who bought Nine from Kerry Packer, a most astute investor. Kerry then bought it back for a song. Alan is no fool because he used other people's money to buy!

HEG, a gold producer but few are interested. It is unlikely to be spectacular though.

TRF, owner of a big chunk of ROL. ROL has gone up but why is TRF going down? Its Fe ore spin-off has also gone up but why is TRF going down? Someone seems to be doing their arithmetic wrongly.

KAR but it is high risk. The share price is around its recent SPP price. Santos Basin in Brazil is hot property with big oil discoveries there by Petrobra. And KAR has decent tenements there. I once was richer with KAR but now just under water.

Always do your own research. But I know what I want to top up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home